Thanking The Academy

by digby


I'm going to be gravely disappointed if Scorcese doesn't finally win. And I'm looking forward to seeing Etheridge sing her great song and (hopefully) seeing "An Inconvenient Truth" get even more exposure to the world. It's not hyperbole to say it may be the most important movie ever made.

Every Oscar night I think about the time years ago that I went to a party that was attended by Satcheen Littlefeather, the woman Brando designated to receive his oscar and give a speech about Native American rights. My ditsy sis-in-law was introduced to her and said, "Oh right, you're the woman who accepted the award for Marlo Thomas!"

The opening was great. Everyone present who was nominated got a moment to be applauded by their peers. Very nice.

Happy Oscars.

Update:

Congratulations to President Gore!
Congratulations Melissa Etheridge!!


C&L has the video of Al's speech here.
.